Last week I was at work checking out a few different products to buy and decided I would make an ebook purchase when I got home. I set aside two links, one the affiliate page that recommended the ebook, the other was the product home page (no affiliate link).
When I got home I clicked the direct link to the product page, wanting to review the details again before I made the purchase. I was about to complete the purchase when I realized doh! I hadn’t been cookied with the affiliate’s link since I just went directly to the product’s website.
I abandoned the purchase and went back through the affiliate’s link to complete the sale so that she would be credited.
- It didn’t cost me a thing by doing so.
- It encourages someone who I perceive as working on her dream and trying to make a go of things online.
- She didn’t hard sell or have ridiculous claims in her copy, just a simple recommendation for a product that she obviously felt good about promoting.
- The product creator would receive 100% of the product sale if I bought directly with no reward to his affiliate. That makes me feel better or benefits me how?
- I can’t explain it, but I do believe and experience daily some sort of kharmic law that’s alive and well on the net. The more you give, the more you get. I can’t prove it. It’s just something that’s very real to me.
So what product did I purchase?
Not saying. That’s not what this blog post is about and I do think it’s a nice thing for us to remember that sometimes what we do and how we do it can really make a positive difference for someone–many times at no cost to ourselves :).
Enjoy your day…the sun’s shining brightly here and my windows are getting pushed wide open all day. Love that crisp, fresh air right after being locked up tight against that brrrr chilly Winter!